Friday 16 January 2015

Time to give blood! It's not that hard!

Today we're giving blood. It's been really hard to encourage anyone to join me from my neighbouring businesses. Kinda made me think about my own experiences from before I was a donor...

The first time I gave blood, I was scared out of my wits!

I didn't like needles, I'd never faced blood loss over a pin prick full, and frankly, didn't like the idea at all.

Previously, I thought "Why on earth should I let someone stick a needle in my arm, and take something like a pint of my blood? It's gross, it hurts, and frankly, it's not me."

Then, one evening, whilst watching TV, I saw the work of a hospital team, fighting to save the life of someone my own age. He was quite a mess. Pretty much touch and go. He'd lost a lot of blood.

But it's ok, right? You make your own blood, so he can replace it.

Wrong.

So extensive were his injuries and blood loss that blood needed to be provided, and quickly. He was going into a condition called 'shock'. His organs were shutting down, and the result of this is death.

Blood was placed directly inside him from a supply. At the end of the program, there was information on who to contact for blood donation - and I made the call.

That program made me think long and hard about the fears I had about donating.

I was a regular donor from then on in, primarily in Germany where I was based as a soldier, but, if the time frame was right, when I was in the UK, and met the criteria, I'd share a pint with the NHS Blood Service.

Wales, England and Germany have all had a bit of my O+!

Some years on, and coming back to the UK, it is without hesitation that I'll give my blood.

Rarely now whole blood is used, unless it's to replace lost blood. The Blood Service collects the blood, and splits it down as required -

so that's Red Cells, used for conditions such as anaemia, as well as to replace lost cells after an accident, or childbirth.

Platelets which are vital for patients being treated for cancer.

Plasma which is really important for many uses, including the treatment of people suffering from Haemophilia.

In some countries I've visited, before certain interactions are taken at hospital level - a check is made for insurance, or the ability to pay for treatment.

In the UK, this isn't the case. It doesn't matter what colour or creed you are, whether you are wealthy or poor, you will receive the same level of treatment from expert staff, committed to going above and beyond to save your life, and give you the best prospects for recovery.

The NHS Blood Service forma a very real part of this chain, and rely upon people to give their own blood to save others. It is a great gift, and, you don't have to look far to find someone who is alive today, thanks to every person in the system, from the donors giving time and blood, the WRVS and other voluntary sector people, the Nurses and Support Staff, the Lab staff, all the way through to the Practitioners holding the giving set.

So why give? If for no other reason than I'm giving into a system that will gladly give me blood if I need it, no matter if I'm a paid up member of the club or not.

But more than that, the sense that you are making a difference to the lives of others - in fact, the knowledge that you are, goes far beyond any reward that can be received in monetary value.

When I first donated, I received a small card book, with pages that would get stuck in... things have changed, and Plastic cards are now issued, denoting the progress of your donation level. Mine are sadly low - as most my blood has been given overseas - but I'm working on changing that!

So how do my experiences bare against my fears in the 90's when I first donated?

I couldn't have been more wrong.

The needles - well, just don't look at them. The staff are so good, you'll hardly feel it. The investment of about a pint, again, is hardly noticeable, and, with a couple of moments of rest after donating, some cookies, and a drink, you're right as rain!

Blood donation has come on a long way - even in the last 10 years. The new trailer I was in today had all the advancements of technology.

What's more, donating blood is now so me, and I encourage anyone, and everyone to be the same. One day, it could be you that needs it back!

For more information:

In England: www.blood.co.uk
In Wales: www.welsh-blood.org.uk
In Scotland: www.scotblood.co.uk
In NI: www.nibts.org


This blog post has been written by Centric First Aid Training ( www.centricuk.com ) however may not reflect the opinions or views of the company, and is no way authored  or a direct message from the NHS. Information is presented as is, and no responsibility is taken by either party for incorrect data. It is produced a opinion of an individual of their own personal experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment